Supta Vajrasana (SLEEPING THUNDERBOLT POSE)
- Sit in vajrasana. Slowly bend back, taking the support of first the
right elbow and arm and then the left.
- Bring the top of the head to the ground, arching the back.
- Place the hands on the things.
- Try to keep the knees in contact with the floor. If necessary,
separate the knees. Care should be taken not to strain the muscles and
ligaments of the thighs and knees by forcing the knees to touch the
ground in the final position.
- Close the eyes and relax the body.
- Breathe deeply and slowly in the final position.
- Return to the starting position in the reverse order, breathing in
and taking the support of the elbows and arms.
- Never leave the final position by straightening the legs first; this
may dislocate the knee joints.
- Return to vajrasana first and then straightening the legs.
Deep and slow
- For physical benefits, up to one minutes is sufficient.
- For spiritual benefits, Practise for longer periods.
Beginners should start with only a few seconds in the final position.
BENEFITS AND LIMITATIONS
This asana massages the abdominal organs alleviating digestive ailments and constipation. It tones the spinal nerves, makes the back flexible and realigns rounded shoulders.