Benefits Shankhpushpi Herb
- Shankhapushpi or Convolvulus pluricaulis is an indigenous plant
commonly mentioned in Ayurveda.
- An ancient system of Indian medicine, as a rasayana which is mainly
advocated for use in mental stimulation and rejuvenation therapy.
- Little human research has been published in the Western medical
literature regarding this plant.
- One study shows Shankhapushpi to have anti-ulcer effects due to
augmentation of mucosal defensive factors like mucin secretion and
- Another study showed that Shankhapushpi may be helpful in improving
symptoms of hyperthyroidism by reducing the activity of a liver enzyme.
- The whole herb is used medicinally in the form of decoction with
cumin and milk in fever, nervous debility, loss of memory, also in
syphilis, and scrofula.
- Shankhapushpi is used as a brain tonic.
- It is used as a tonic, alterative and febrifuge.
- It is a sovereign remedy in bowel complaints especially dysentery.
- The plant is reported to be a prominent memory improving drug.
- It is used as a psycho stimulant and tranquilizer.
- It is reported to reduce mental tension.
- The ethanolic extract of the plant reduces total serum cholesterol,
triglycerides, phospholipids and nonesterfied fatty-acid.