- Biological Name: Nardostachys jatamansi
- English Name: Musk root
- Family: Valerianaceae
Jatamansi (Nardostachys Jatamansi) means 'whose flesh is like a dreadlock' it is known as Jatamansi because its roots resembles the matted hair of the Himalayan ascetics. It has a superb rejuvenating effect on the mind. It is a sought after nervous relaxant and anti-spasmodic.
- digestive diseases
- gastric disorders
- heart palpitations
- kidney stones
- respiratory diseases
- skin conditions
- seminal debility
Benefits of Jatamansi:
Hysteria, nervousness, epilepsy, Parkinson's and insomnia. It both cools and nourishes a 'hot' and 'exhausted' nervous system; clears pitta, calms vata, reduces kapha. By virtue of its benefiting majja dhatu-agni it enhances the intellect and induces mental clarity. Its 'penetrating quality' is useful in clearing headaches and 'muzzy' head syndrome.
- In Nervous System: Hysteria, nervousness, epilepsy, Parkinson's and insomnia. It both cools and nourishes a 'hot' and 'exhausted' nervous system; clears pitta, calms vata, reduces kapha. By virtue of its benefiting majja dhatu-agni it enhances the intellect and induces mental clarity. Its penetrating quality is useful in clearing headaches and muzzy head syndrome.
- Heart: Palpitations, angina, essential hypertension When vata pushes pitta it causes it to rush in the channels and this is especially aggravating to the sites pitta can influence, hence the connection between the heart, the blood and pitta causing palpitations.
- GIT: Digestive cramps, borborygmus, flatulence, bloating and vata constipation with dry, hard and gaseous stool. It relaxes the bowel and encourages peristalsis inhibited by tension. Its aromatic nature 'dries' ama and kapha and helps to circulate samana vayu.
- Lungs: Helpful in spasmodic cough, asthma, whooping cough; high vatakapha lung problems
- Hair: It has a special use for promoting hair growth, preventing hair loss and greying hair
- Skin : It is highly valued for skin disorders with a nervous component. It acts on rakta dhatu and via the nervous system, especially beneficial in itching and burning sensations
- Gynaecology : Jatamansi's penetrating and warm quality is useful in dysmenorrhoea with dragging pain, ovarian discomfort, lower abdominal distension and pain
Benefits of Jatamansi
Cost of 60 vege capsules or 500 gm of Jatamansi root powder is of $20.00