Throughout the practice become aware of the following:
- Sit with the legs stretched out in front of the body.
- Bend the right leg and place the right foot flat on the floor on the
outside of the left knee.
- The toes of the right foot should face forward.
- Bend the left leg and bring the foot around to the right buttock.
- The outside edge of the foot should be in contract with the floor.
- Pass the left arm through the space between the chest and the right
knee, and place it against the outside of the right leg.
- Hold the right foot or ankle with the left hand, so that the right
knee is close to the left armpit.
- Sit up as straight as possible.
- Raise the right arm in front of the body and gaze at the fingertips.
- Slowly twist to the right, simultaneously moving the arm, trunk and
- Use the left arm as a lever against the right leg to twist the trunk
as far as possible without using the back muscles.
- Follow the tips of the fingers of the right hand with the gaze and
look over the right shoulder.
- Do not strain the back.
- Bend the right elbow and place the arm around the back of the wrist.
- The back of the right hand should wrap around the left side of the
- Alternatively, it can be placed as high as possible between the
sholder blades with the fingers pointing up. This arm position enforces
the straightness of the spine.
- Reverse the movements to come out of the posture and repeat on the
Practice once on each side, gradully increasing the holding time to 1 to 2
minutes on each side of the body or up to 30 breaths.
- Inhale in the forward position.
- Exhale while twisting the trunk.
- Breathe deeply and slowly without strain in the final position.
This Asana simultaneously stretches the muscles on one side of the back
and abdomen while contracting the muscles on the other side.