BASTI : (Yogic Enema)
Technique 1: Jala Basti (yogic enema with water)
- Stand in pure water up to the nacel. A flowing river is a an ideal
- lean forward and place the hands on the knees.
- Expand the anal sphincter muscles and simultaneously perform
uddiyana bandha and nauli in such a way that water is drawn up in the
- Hold the water in the bowels for some time and then expel it through
- The colon is cleared and purified. Old stool is removed and gas
expelled. Advanced practitioners of pranayama use basti to cool down the
abdominal heat produced by their practices.
Technique 2: Sthal basti(Dry yogic enema)
- Sit with both legs outstreatched in front and perform paschimottanasana.
- Hold the position and perform ashwini mudra 25 times, sucking air into the bowels.
- Retain the air for some time and then expel it through the anus.
- Cleans the colon and remove gas and wind.
Technique 3: Moola shodhana (anal cleansing)
- Insert the soft rot of raw tumeric (haldi) Plant gently into the
- Alternatively, the index or middle finger may be utilised.
- Rotate the root or the finger around the inner surface of the anal
sphincter 10 times clockwise and then 10 times counter-clockwise.
- Remove the root or finger and wash the anus with cold water.