Adenoids are type of tissue present above the tonsils situated at the back and the roof of throat is the first line of defence against infections due to presence of lymphoid tissue which plays important role in fighting from infections .This tissue is present commonly in children and shows physiological enlargement up to the age of 6 years , and then tends to shrink at puberty and almost disappears by the age of 20 .In some children ,after repeated infections adenoid becomes enlarged which is very common and it does not affect child health until it interferes with breathing and hearing like important processes .Adenoids generally disappears in adults but studies have showed that adenoid enlargement also is increasing in adults because of various causes.
CAUSES OF ADENOIDS
- Chronic tonsilitis
- Malignant sinonasal tumor
- Hodgkin ‘s lymphoma
- HIV infections
- Poor immunity
- Living in highly polluted area
- Exposure to cold weather
- Reccurent common cold
- Eating cold food items like ice cream , cold-drinks etc,.
Symptoms depend on the size of adenoid mass . enlarged and infected adenoids may cause nasal , auditory and other general symptoms –
- Nasal obstruction is the commonest symptom
- Breathing from mouth
- Sore throat
- Bad breath
- Cracked and dry lips
- Swollen glands in neck
- It interferes in feeding of child
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Nasal discharge
- Maxillary Sinusitis is also associated with adenoids
- Due to inflammation of adenoids epistaxis (nasal bleeding ) can occur .
- Voice change
- Sleep apnea (pauses breathing while sleeping )
- Poor mental alertness
- Hypertrophy of right side of heart
- Hearing loss
- Ear ache
- Recurrent ear infections
- Chronic ear inflammation
- Adenoid faces – the child has elongated , dull face open mouth and prominent upper teeth
- Lack of concentration
- Nausea and vomiting
ADENOIDS IN AYURVEDA
According to ayurveda adenoids are correlated with the granthi rog that is tundikeri .Tundi means mouth and keri means location , so it refers to the disease that occurs in mouth . it is the disease characterized by –
- Toda (pricking pain)
- Shoth (hard and enlarged due to swelling )
- Prapaki (tends to get suppurative easily due to recurrent infections )
- Avarodh ( causes obstruction in throat )
- Excess intake of meat of fish ,buffalo and pork
- Excess intake of black gram soup
- Uncooked mooli (raddish)
- Sugar cane juice
Causes related with regimens
- not maintaining oral hygiene
- sleeping during day time
- sleeping in prone position
- taking bath after heavy diet
- drinking cold water in excess
- suppressing natural urges
these all causes are responsible for causing vitiation of vata , pitta and kapha dosha which then effects channels of oral cavity , where kapha will obstruct the channel and will cause breathing problems , pitta causing inflammation and vata leads to enlargement , pain and deafness .
HOME REMEDIES FOR ADENOIDS
- maintain oral hygiene
- Avoid cold food items like ice creams
- Avoid exposure to cold environment
- Do not drinks cold beverages
- Avoid junk foods
- Avoid excess sweet intake as it increases kapha dosha which will then cause obstruction.
- Avoid excess salty , spicy and oily food items.
- Salt water gargles are benefical - it helps to reduce inflammation and swelling . also provides relief from pain.
- Honey and lemon can be taken as they have good anti-inflammatory properties.
- Have Golden milk that is haldi wala doodh
- drink hot beverages like tulsi , adrak tea .
- apple can be consumed regularly due to anti-allergic property.
- Avoid citrus food items as they can aggravate symptoms
- Eat boiled and mashed potatoes
- Drink more water and fruit juices
- Avoid sleeping during day time
- Take steam in case of cold and congestion
- Avoid sleeping in prone (on abdomen ) position
- Take warm baths
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR ADENOID
- Strictly avoid the contraindications
- Raktamokshan (blood letting)
- Kaval (gargling )and gandusha (held medicine in oral cavity) is indicated with triphala , trikatu and nimba.
- Kshara karma – using apamarga kshar
- Pratisarna (to apply paste of herbal drugs in the oral cavity )
Medicinal herbs used in adenoids
- Pippali-it is effective in treating cold ,viral infections and has anti-inflammatory action.
- Marich – it also having hot potency and effective in treating cold and other throat infections.
- Yashtimadhu –it has expectorant property , it is having anti -inflammtory and healing properties . h
- Haridra – its is anti-inflammatory , blood purifier , and helps in detoxifying also permotes healing and boost immunity prevent body from infections . Due to its property it is effective in treating cough cold diseases.
- Guggul –it is effective in treating tonsillitis , has pain relieving effect .
- Karkatshringi – it is used in case of upper respiratory tract infections and is effective in cough , hiccups and fever.
- Tejowaha – it is effective against infection and pain and is used in brushing teeth.
- Guduchi – it prevents and treats tonsillitis effectively due to its anti-inflammatory action .it also increases immunity and has anti-viral property too.
These were the few of the ways and medicinal drugs which are helpful in treating adenoid related problems. Beside all these there are some formulations that are used in treating such casesIn severe cases sometimes surgery is indicated that is adenoidectomy.We also provide treatment for adenoids and our products are
Adenoids Healer Kit :
Our Price : $72/-